Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Best of 2015 - Favorites

Hey folksickles. The moment when I award my favoritism to the products I used in 2015 that I would hands down, buy again, and recommend or buy for a friend. Are we ready or are we ready? I will say that I don't have photos of the products here because many of them I've used up and thrown away but... there's always Google and in the instance that I've reviewed a product, the product name will be clickable and you can take a gander at the review.
Before I get on to product reviews here are a few other favorites from the year.

Travel: If you have not gone to the bio bay in Puerto Rico you should. Go at night. Go with a friend fluent in Spanish because this isn't the biggest tourist spot and yeah... you'll be grateful you listened to me. In this magical place you will board a boat that will take you out into pitch blackness in the most magical sense... you see all the stars in the sky, you see the amazing glitter "fish" (they're actually bioluminscent microorganisms) when the divers from the boats dive around the waters. It is by far one of the most amazing places I've ever been too and I'm so glad I was able to see it with one of my Heathers.

Music: Bands/musicians in general - Phantogram, Purity Ring, Active Child, and Radical Face stand out to me most. I adored the The Original High album by Adam Lambert and The Breach by Dustin Tebutt. Plus the channel IndieAir on Youtube is amazing if you like indie music that leans on the sleepy acoustic kind of feel. 

Food: I cooked many things but one of my favorites were the three ingredient Nutella brownies - they're super easy but they taste like you put in a lot of work - great for impressing just about anyone. Recipe: http://www.thecomfortofcooking.com/2014/09/incredible-3-ingredient-nutella-brownies.html

Shows: Sailor Moon - I finally finished all 200 episodes and... if you want something heartwarming that'll keep you on the edge of your seat do it... it's a classic. Don't be lame... do eeeetttt. OG Sailor Moon anime though - that's where it's at. Shokugeki no Soma - this brings a whole new meaning to the word foodgasm, which I implore that you watch to see what I mean. It's funny, pervy, and kind of sweet. Lastly RuPaul's Drag Race - a must for makeup inspiration, shade, and hilarity... it will keep you gagging on the eleganza.

and now...  

1. Laura Mercier Body & Bath Souffle Body Creme in Almond Coconut Milk - This has such a wonderful tropical coconut scent to it that's cut with the freshness of almond milk/marzipan. It's sweet without being overpowering or cloying. It smells really cozy and somewhat like a macaron. I just adore the scent. This works really nicely for making my legs feel really smooth, everything but the soles of my feet (which are always dry af) feels fantastic. 

2. Laura Mercier Body & Bath Body Creme in Ambre Vanille: The entire line just smells absolutely wonderful and I adore it. An absolute must-smell in my opinion. 

3. Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Hand & Body Scrub: This scrub you guys... it's absolutely amazing. What I appreciate is that it's mostly sugar with a little bit of solution/Vitamin E to help it glide over the body. Sugar scrubs are my favorite because the sugar is gritty but it won't hurt if you get it in a scratch or what have you and it actually helps in wound healing. I love how scrubby this is and the smell... oh lord the scent is intoxicating - it truly smells like hibiscus and coconut with maybe plumeria in there... really tropical and sweet which, as a mermaid... I mean c'mon. I needed this in my life. Plus it was on sale - major win. I highly suggest this - absolutely amazing.

4. e.l.f. Mineral Shadow in ElegantOne of the fleeky-est highlighters on the market - I constantly get compliments on this and I love that you can either wear it lightly or build up a crazy glow (which is what I do with this) and it's just stunning. I get so many compliments on it and like... $3.... $3!!!

5. Bumble & Bumble BB Thickening Full Form Mousse - This is the best mousse I've ever used - it gives my hair really good volume, body, and thickness. Other mousses might give me the volume but nothing gives me the thickening, hold, and texture that this does which is why it's bae. Plus this lasts me a really long time so although it's kind of a pricey mousse I think it's absolutely worth the money.

6. Mediheal Dress Code Blue Sheet MaskThis mask is absolutely incredible - it is MEGA hydrating and soothing, it smells fantastic, it looks beautiful when you wear it and it stays put on the face. This does everything I want a sheet mask to do. I'm very happy.

7. Etude House Every Month Cleansing Foam February Pomegranate & Berry: This cleanser was absolutely incredible - it cleans really well, it smells nice, it foams up great, it leaves my skin feeling really hydrated after I wash it - not stripped at all. I was so happy to use this when I got to it. I would absolutely get this again if I saw it around.

8.Vella Fresh Creamy SoapAnother absolutely amazing cleanser. This had pretty much all the same benefits of the one I listed above but this one in particular is PACKED with skin-soothing and hydrating ingredients like honey, donkey milk, propolis, royal jelly, aloe, and witch hazel. It has this amazing balancing property and works really well and has a nice milky foam consistency to it. I wish I hadn't used this all up because with winter coming my skin needs more of this.

9.  Trader Joe's Pumpkin Rooibos TeaThis tea is just... remarkably delicious. Just... so good! It's got a really fantastic pumpkin spice flavor without being overwhelming or too powerful and what I love is that I can just leave the tea packet steeping in the tea the whole time I'm drinking this and it doesn't get to the point of becoming bitter and tasting awful. It's very smooth going down (stronger teas can be tannic) and tastes really cozy and warming. I would absolutely recommend this to any pumpkin spice fan. This tea has been a long-time favorite. It's SO GOOD!!!!!

10. A:True White Snow Tea Brilliant Essence I loved this so much and am sad that I ran out. It adds a really nice boost of hydration to the skin and has a wonderful tea-like scent as well as a really silky hydro-gel texture. I would absolutely get this if it were more easily accessible.

11.  Guerlain Lingerie De Peau BB Cream: This is super pricey but I finally bit the bullet and got it during employee appreciation. Ugh... so worth it. I took this to Puerto Rico with me because I wanted something lightweight and hydrating but that would also have good coverage. I wasn't expecting much because in any case, this is still a BB cream so I wasn't expecting it to hold up too much in the heat and humidity and what really blew me away was that it did. That in and of itself is amazing, this covers well but feels lightweight, is hydrating, and gives the skin a gorgeous glow.

12. BeautyBlender Sponge: This is by far the most life-changing beauty tool you can get your hands on. Peep this... it replaces your foundation brush, your cream blush/highlighter brushes, your concealer brush, your contouring brush (if you use a cream... you might still want a brush for placement but not for blending).... it gives the loveliest finish because it has no edges - it blurs everything and creates a look that has no possibility of lines or streaks unless you press it into your face too hard. I tried going back to foundation brushes and... it's a no-go. This also makes foundation application feel nice because it's sort of damp and my skin's dry now, so any added moisture is an added benefit.

13.  Skinfood Black Sugar Honey Mask Wash Off: Firstly, the scent of this is just on a whole nother level... it smells lemony and honey-like and just delicious. This makes your face feel really nice and isn't as scrubby as the original version of the mask, which is fantastic because my skin has been extra sensitive lately. It feels mega hydrating and scrubby all at once though, makes your face feel like a baby's bottom. I absolutely think for drier or more sensitive skin types the few extra dollars in the honey version is absolutely worth it.

14. Bath & Body Works Scented Candle in Tiki Beach: This candle though. I always talk about it but that's because it owns a very special place in my heart. I remember when Irene of pinkiecharm still had a channel and said she really liked this candle... I was like YOLO because I really hadn't had any candles before then and that order spurred an addiction. Regardless, I remember when I got my batch of mini-candles and I smelled them all.  I really disliked this one in comparison to the other scents, the musky-coconut blend seemed almost bitter when I thought about the sweeter, fruitier scents I had bought. That said, on the note of YOLO, I decided to burn it... OMG was it just... I wasn't expecting to be blown away and I was. I fell in love and I fell hard. It smelled like a really hot man, making coconut cookies, it smelled like tropical beaches and sunsets and gorgeousness, it smelled like paradise. For a brief period, I associated the scent with someone I now no longer speak to... which was upsetting but I couldn't let him stop me from loving my Tiki Beach. Then, last year, when I visited Puerto Rico for the first time, my friend there had this in a wallflower and while it smelled home-y and cozy there, it now forever reminds me of PR which is kind of my home-away-from-home. I love it. I recommend it and convert everyone into a lover of it. I give it as a gift. I bought 4 last year and just finished my last one. Such sad. Another long-time favorite and a must-have in my book.

15. WondeRuci Cacao Brightening Mask: This mask is just... like... can we talk about it? We are obviously going to talk about it. Firstly it smells and looks like melted chocolate, like lava cake dough... it makes your skin feel fantastic - baby's behind smoothness, it draws out impurities from the skin as well... which is fantastic for a mask which also has hydrating properties. It is essentially the perfect mask for me. I'm very happy about it.

16.  Bath & Body Works Scented Candle in London CallingThis candle is absolute love. The comfort of lemon tea, the delightful scent of lemon tea... I plain love lemon tea and having a house that smells like it is no problem for me. 

17. Holika Holika Sweet Cotton Pore Cover Powder I am very picky with my powders now that my skin's gotten dry... I like something that sets my makeup, keeps my face looking luminous but has a matte, non-sticky feel, and that won't dry me out. This fits the bill. It has flower water in it to hydrate, it feels silky, it kind of has a lovely after-smell... good stuff.. worth the money

18. Twinings Jasmine Green TeaI happened upon this because one night I wanted tea but was too lazy to brew my loose-leaf tea. This tastes really fantastic and has a nice concentrated jasmine flavor without any bitterness. I really recommend it.

19. By Nature Bath Salts in RoseSo rose is my new obsession, if you haven't noticed. I loved jasmine last year and still do but rose... mmmm... lol, it's my favorite flower after all... This stuff smells really nice.

16. Formula X For Sephora UnmistakableThe absolute perfect shade of mint nail polish. I love this so much, it's opaque, it's smooth, it wears well... it's the perfect spring/summer mermaid shade. After Easter hit I really wanted to wear pastel polish and thought it would be an ongoing thing but... I now let myself kind of look at my stash and pull whatever looks good to me the day I do my nails and... the pastels lasted for two weeks... alas. I still love this color loads. A must-have if you want something in the mint family.

17. City Color Creamy Lip Stain in Flirtini: This is the perfect liquid lipstick that goes with literally any sort of look I do. I was wearing loads of bright colors this month  and this was a perfect addition to those looks - it wears nicely and doesn't dry out the lips. My only issue with it is the scent/flavor is like wet paint and I have to deal with that for 5 minutes or so... but other than that it's lovely and I've gotten loads of compliments on it.

18. Ben Nye Lumiere Grande Pressed Colour Palette: Does anyone else remember a time on Youtube when this was like... the palette to have? A day before Urban Decay Naked? A day before Sugarpill?
This was what you needed in your life if you wanted a palette of vibrant colors that had you covered in terms of the primaries? Yes? I love this palette. It's technically designed for stage and for face painting - you can use the powders wet - which is silly because I've owned it since that time and I've never used any of the powders wet because they're just so pigmented. I suppose using them wet will make the look more metallic and.... lumiere. :P The looks I've done with the palette have gotten me many a compliment (this will be coming up in a post real soon) and I think it's definitely a palette worth having if you're looking for vibrant colors. I purchased this just as the beauty community on Youtube was becoming popular, I was a newbie to the makeup world and really wanted to do a rainbow shadow look without having to buy all these individual shades and there this palette was. I want to say it was around $50 back in the day and currently retails around $60-70... which... if you consider that you're paying that for really good quality, highlight pigmented, vivid shades... $6/eyeshadow... that's still a bargain. To give you a comparison - these are close in quality to Makeup Forever, Urban Decay, and Sugarpill. The only downfall of the palette is that all of the eyeshadows are iridescent and have a shimmer to them.

19. Bath & Body Works Scented Candle in Gourmet EspressoThis candle smells absolutely fantastic. I love it and would absolutely buy it again. It worked perfectly to give me a bit of a buzz and hence, I loved burning it in the morning. Really gave me that "wake up and smell the coffee" sensation. It just smells absolutely delicious, I love the smell of coffee and mocha so this was absolutely up my alley. I'd get it again if I could.

20.Gucci PremiereI absolutely love this stuff, it smells like incredibly glamorous, sophisticated lemon tea to me. I don't know how to properly explain it. I love the men's version too, so perhaps one day I can buy it for my partner... in crime xD oh boy... anywho, I promised myself I'd buy a rollerball if it were available because I liked the scent so much but couldn't commit to a full bottle but... I think I need to commit to a full bottle.

21. Clarisonic: My beautiful Sea Foam Clarisonic fell apart one day... I don't even understand how but... it was all messed up. It was under warranty and let me tell you... they were mega nice to me, sent me a brand new one (as you see), the guy even tried to get me one in the same color but they only had white... which I ended up not minding as much as I thought I would, I think it looks really sleek/clean, they threw in a brush head, they gave me a return shipping label so I wouldn't have to pay for that myself (UPS only though)... I want to say the customer service piece here is really outstanding. I was depressed, I thought I'd have to eventually buy a new one or some other cleansing device but I felt like I was rescued. I would absolutely recommend going with a Clarisonic for anyone looking for a cleansing device because such customer service... absolutely superb. Mega impressive. They essentially gave me a brand new system. Love them!

22.  Bath & Body Works Scented Candle in Blackberry Bramble TeaOk, this one is a no-brainer. I love bramble tea, I love blackberries. This is another one of those just absolutely cozy-smelling fall candles. That said, there is never a bad time for blackberry bramble tea like, let's be real here. I would absolutely recommend checking it out if it gets re-released.

23.  Trader Joe's Lemon CurdOMFG like... ok so I discovered the amazingness of lemon curd when a recipe I had for overnight oats called for it. Speaking of favorites, my new favorite breakfast is overnight oats - you can literally put it together in 5 minutes (15 is the most I've spent on more intricate recipes) and have it ready to eat in the morning and you can easily make it really healthy but REALLY tasty. Anyways, on the note of tasty, I knew this stuff existed before but I feel like I've never had it. This is lemony, but also buttery and has this rich eggyness to it. If any of you watch Shokugeki no Soma - and I suggest you do if you're a foodie and like comedy and aren't easily offended by sexual references because.... this is certainly worthy of some food prize. It's absolutely delicious and I love it a lot. If you like lemon/citrus anything, YOU NEED IT. And c'mon, it'll be $3.99 well-spent. 

24. My Beauty Diary Aroma Series Rose Brightening Aroma Mask.This may be one of my hands down favorite sheet masks. It smells absolutely gorgeous the entire half hour you're supposed to have it on (I usually leave it for a bit longer), it's soaked in this serum that doesn't look like much but it hydrates really deeply and brightens the skin really nicely and it stays moist longer than other masks which tells me it's full of hydrating goodness. 

25. GlamGlow Flashmud Brightening Treatment: OMFG, this stuff is just SO GOOD. It smells nice, it brightens beautifully, it doesn't dry my skin out, it leaves my skin the texture of a baby's bottom. Like, I just need it in my life.

26. Skinfood Bath Salt in Honey JasmineThis stuff just smells absolutely wonderful - legit exactly what you THINK it'll smell like... I think it's fantastic and if you want a good aromatherapy bath and like the scent of both honey and jasmine then you need this in your life. Like I mention in my empties post, I legit bought all the ones that were out on display.

27. Laura Mercier Silk Creme Moisturizing Photo Edition Foundation.This foundation is just absolutely fantastic. It does give me really perfected, doll-looking skin, it stays on really well throughout the day and covers a lot - I feel like I don't really have to put in a lot of work with covering up issues when I use this - only my high-redness areas tend to push this off but they've been doing that a lot lately, I think they want to breathe and it kind of sucks that I can't let them because I can't be walking around with a crazy inflamed face at work.

28.  Colourpop Super Shock Cheek in Lunch Money: I'm not entirely sure why this isn't getting more hype because it's absolutely amazing. Just... amazing. While it's an odd cream-gel texture it dries powdery and lays gorgeously over a powder as well, you don't have to worry about it looking cakey or doing that weird balling up thing. I used it as a base for my favorite thing ever, the Tarte Amazonian Clay Shimmering Powder in Champagne and... I look very strobe-y and glowing - I love it.

29. Colourpop Lippie Stix in Ellarie: You GUYS... I can't... this has quickly went from, oh ok to favorite product. Basically what had happened is I ordered it because the swatches I saw of it were gorgeous but by the time I received it I'd forgotten all about that so I was like... I don't remember ordering this dark red color for myself. Not until I swatched it did I remember about the loveliness of it. I've been wearing it nearly every day at work because of the berry lip animation which... sorry Carlibell... it's not a friggin summer color when it's a cranberry... girl stop... strawberries and raspberries are summer berries, anything darker and you head into fall, like take a nutrition class. Hashtag shade.... Lol. Anyway, this is amazing, the texture is really smooth and comfortable even though it is matte, it wears really well and only really comes off/moves if I eat and it doesn't dry my lips out. I like it a lot. For $5 I have no complaints here and people compliment me all the time when I have it on.

30. Slatkin & Co. Sea Spray Scented Candle: Alright guys so... I haven't bought any candles since the beginning of the year and so... I've been working through my collection. I literally got really emotional when it came to this candle because... it's hands-down my favorite candle scent... period. I have two, one slightly burned and one that was never burned but... I kind of didn't/don't want to burn them because literally I just want this scent all the time and it's been discontinued. It smells like the ocean sans the salty brine.. which I love... it's so ideal and reminds me of my mermaid home.. it is SO GOOD. I wish BBW would bring it back... :'( It's got this really amazing strong throw and smells up my whole apartment.

31. Olay Essential Oils Ribbons Body Wash in Sunflower Oil + Refreshing NectarineThis stuff you guis... I forgot how much I liked... I mean loved! this stuff until I started using it again, it's so much more creamier, thicker, and more hydrating than any other body wash I've ever used to shave with. It keeps the skin really nourished (I guess that's a theme here) and really allows for a close, smooth shave. Plus it smells absolutely amazing. Happy times.

32.  Bliss Blood Orange + White Pepper Sugar Scrub Fresh N' Foamy Body Polish: I found this at Marshall's and picked it up because I really like the smell... you guis... I keep going to Marshall's and TJ Maxx hoping I'll find it again because IT'S SO GOOD. It's very scrubby and invigorating, which I like... and it smells good, which I like. Plus because it's scrubby it really allows me to get rid of dead skin and get a good, close shave. I think it's an absolute essential and I really hope I find this again.

33. Bath & Body Works Scented Candle in Island MargaritaThis deadass made me crave margaritas - which, on the low, are my favorite alcoholic beverage. I went through it in what must've been two weeks because it just smells so good. I'm not sure if this is still being produced but if it is and you like margaritas you need it in your life.

34. Soap & Glory The Righteous Butter: I feel like my favorites nearly always revolve around good-smelling things and this is no exception. This smells absolutely fantastic, the scent is potent and stays on you, which I don't mind at all. It's very floral and sweet with a hint of freshness. It doesn't moisturize my dry heels but does a real good job of moisturizing my legs post-shaving.

35.  Tree Hut Shea Sugar Scrub in Tropical Mango: Another really fantastic scrub... I feel like I was in a rut of mediocre scrubs lately that either smelled meh or weren't scrubby enough. This smells really good and is very scrubby. Generally, because I shave, I prefer sugar scrubs because they don't cause potential irritation the way salt scrubs do. Plus, the sugar is a humectant so it draws moisture to the skin versus salt which can be drying. I did buy some scrubs to play around with so you'll see those coming in the next few months. This is a really good option if you like scrubby scrubs and comes in many scents to choose from.

36.Bath & Body Works Scented Candle in Mint ChocolateThis is bae this month (aka August going into September) and it just smells so good. I picked this particular one up with a dear friend from Puerto Rico and it reminds me of the good times we had together in Jersey - buying candles and eating lobster rolls and laughing about crazy things. I miss him... sad times... anyway, this candle just smells so good - it's delicious, comforting, a little refreshing. It also reminds me of a time when I was won over by mint because honestly... I used to really dislike it and it would make me nauseous.

37. Colourpop Lippie Stix in Topanga: This color is just so versatile, it's a dusty coral shade and legit goes with everything - it makes my lips look really nice but it's a soft enough color where I can wear it with any look and it won't clash or take over. Plus it wears really nicely throughout the day as well. These only really move when you eat. I highly recommend it.

38. Benton Snail Bee High Content Mask Pack - Guys this stuff is absolutely incredible. What's unique to this mask is that the serum it's soaked in is a camelia-leaf juice rather than water - the advantage of that is you get a much more concentrated soothing, anti-inflammatory effect. These masks are relatively inexpensive and leave my skin feeling soft, smooth, hydrated, and soothed while at the same time giving my skin a beautiful brightness and glow. I highly recommend them.

39. Matcha Matcha Hoji Green Tea PowderI LOVED this tea so much. By now you guys should know I'm a connoisseur of tea and love it and trying new teas, etc so when I saw a three-pack of these "matcha" teas I figured... yolo. Hoji is so delicious because it's got that green tea flavor most of us are familiar with but it's also got a roasty, caramel note that is just... SO GOOD... I drank lots of this when I was in the pits of being sick and I found it to be really soothing - plus because it's powdered all I had to do was dissolve a teaspoon in  a cup of boiling water. Love it. I bought this when I was visiting Mitsuwa marketplace and it doesn't seem to be widely available, what a shame. :(

40. Bliss Blood Orange + White Pepper Body Butter: Guys... this smells SO GOOD, it's my absolutely favorite scent from Bliss and just one I really love in general, it hydrates the skin really well, it pretty much does everything I want a body butter/moisturizer to do hence bringing lasting hydration to my dry soles. :/ I think I need a miracle for the latter.

41. Formula X For Sephora Orbit: When cooler weather hits this nail polish comes out, in fact I'm wearing it as a type this. I love how it's a cross between teal and navy and is so inky it's almost black. It's the perfect mermaid color for the fall/winter season and generally looks good on most people, plus it kind of acts as a neutral because it is so dark but it's not harsh/goth the way black might be. I think everyone should own this but that's just me.

42. Bath & Body Works Wild Honeysuckle Deep Cleansing Hand SoapIt's no secret that I adore the Wild Honeysuckle scent from Bath & Body Works and I'm so stocked they brought it back as a hand soap, hopefully they'll bring it back as a pocketback, and an EDP, and just... can we bring it back? It's so good. Yeah? Ok. :)

43. Dr. Broner's Magic Soap All-One Hemp Pure-Castile Soap Bar in Almond: Alright guys, I feel like several times I've come on here and said this is THE brush soap, but this... this is THE brush soap. Why, you ask. Simple - it cleanses of all the makeup/muck off your makeup brushes - you could probably use this for paint brushes too because the oils in here break up a of stuff unless you're using some kind of industrial-strength paint... Anyways, this conditions the brush bristles and leaves your brushes feeling soft and cuddly on your skin, it smells nice and the best part... it's inexpensive (I think the bar was maybe $4-6) and it lasts. Most other brush soaps I've had ran out within a month or two - I've had this for two months now and have a sizeable chunk of it left. Don't waste your money on more expensive brush soaps and get your hands upon this stuff.

44. MAC Lipstick in Mind ControlThis lipstick tho... it's such a good red on me. I first wore it to Night of the Living Drag on October 30th and it was so friggin magical especially because I've had a craving for red since what feels like the start of October. I wear this almost every day now because it goes with the looks I do, it's a really pretty red, it's opaque, and it feels moisturizing... and festive... but the moisture is really what I came for because my lips have been going through 3 weeks of dryness and they're at the crack and bleed stage... NOT  a fun stage, so this kind of helps disguise the look of that which is mighty surprising given that you'd think red would exaggerate such imperfections given that it's such an intense color, but no. This is such a brilliant lipstick and I think you should check it out if it's still available and you're in the market for red. This gets me lots of compliments and I dig it.

45. Yankee Candle Willow Breeze - Alright now that I'm on Yankee candles it means I've killed off all my Bath & Body Works ones - I went in size order. Anyway. I can't believe I'm here with only 6 candles left. When I lit this I hadn't burned it in a LONG time and I remember standing in the bathroom dealing with a sheet mask and wondering if it was what smelled so good. But alas no, it was this candle. This smells fresh, clean, like walking the bay if the ocean wasn't so briny and that's like... my ideal scent of the ocean... brine-less. It smells like my mermaid home and reminds me of springtime and fresh beginnings. A hopeful smell that I truly appreciate that. This smells up the entire apartment which I love as well.

46. Yankee Candle in Beach Flowers: You guis... I mean... obviously as a mermaid I was going to like this. It has all the elements that would make me like it - it's beachy, tropical, floral - this smells like a wonderful perfume wrapped in honey and I wish that I could smell like this. My only gripe with this candle is that I wish it had a stronger throw.

Please let me know if you have any comments or questions.

Disclaimer: I paid for all these items. The Skinfood and GlamGlow were  free-with-purchase sample packet.

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar